Monday, December 28, 2009

Nuts & Seeds Egg Salad

I'm going to be eating vegan again after New Year's, and I had eggs in the fridge to use up this week. So this is my good-bye to eggs, I guess. I have an aversion to mayonnaise about 99% of the time, so this is mayo-free. I liked it - just remember that it's more of a salad than a sandwich spread!


Nuts & Seeds Egg Salad



- 5 eggs, hard-boiled and peeled

- 2 slices of lemon, one squeezed (zest too, if you like it) - hang on to the other
- 1/4 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. mustard (or more or less)

- 1 tbs. sunflower kernels
- 1 1/2 tsp. sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp. poppy seeds

- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- pinch tarragon
- generous sprinkle paprika
- salt, pepper & red pepper flakes, to taste

- any other veggie add-ins you desire (I used a heaping tablespoon of finely chopped onions and half an avocado, diced to the same size as my egg pieces)

I hard-boil eggs by placing them in a pan of cold water that just covers them up, putting a lid on it, and bringing it to a boil. Once the water reaches a boil, turn off the burner and leave it there for fifteen minutes. Then run cold water over the eggs or place in an ice water bath until they've cooled.

Chop eggs how you like. I'm not a big yolk fan, so I only used one and a half of the yolks. Yeah, for five eggs.

Whisk together mustard, vinegar, olive oil, and lemon juice from one of the slices. Squish yolks into the dressing if you want (I did).

Dump seasonings/nuts over eggs/veggies, then pour over dressing. Fold to combine. It might not seem like you have enough of the dressing, but here's where you squeeze over the other lemon wedge.

Taste to see if it needs more salt (or even if you want more lemon).

I ate some immediately with Wasa Crispbread, but I'm guessing the flavors would intensify with a little time spent in the fridge.

No comments: